Angola Expungement Lawyer
Being convicted of criminal charges is a serious matter. In addition to the criminal penalties you face, your conviction remains a part of your permanent criminal record. Even if the crime involved is relatively minor, this could follow you for the rest of your life and prevent you from obtaining a job, housing, an education, or certain types of government benefits. At the Bellinger Law Office, we are here to help people in these situations. An experienced Angola expungement lawyer will work to protect your rights in getting your record cleared.
Criminal Charges on Your Record?
Even otherwise honest and upstanding people can find themselves on the wrong side of the law. The best course of action if you do find yourself facing criminal charges is to get an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side immediately, helping you to avoid a criminal conviction. However, if your case has already been decided, there are some options available to clear your name.
At the Bellinger Law Office, we can guide you in seeking an expungement of your charges. Depending on the situation, this effectively seals your record in the matter or prevents it from being viewed by the public, potential employers, and certain government agencies. Under Section 35-38-9 of the Indiana Code, there are strict requirements for having a criminal conviction expunged in the state. It generally only applies in the following types of cases:
- If you were convicted of a misdemeanor crime;
- If you were convicted of a class D felony that was eventually converted to a misdemeanor;
- If you were convicted of a class D felony which resulted in no bodily injuries;
- If you were convicted of another type of felony, but have a note requesting the expungement from the prosecuting attorney involved in your case.
Those who are not eligible for expungement include those convicted of sex crimes, sex trafficking, or violent crimes such as homicide, as well as politicians convicted for misconduct.
Get Your Conviction Expunged
Once our Angola expungement lawyer files your petition and the appropriate supporting documents with the court, a judge will review the matter. If you are approved for expungement, it will have the following effects:
- The Indiana State Police will seal your criminal file in their database;
- The Clerk of Court will seal the record in their files;
- Your name will be redacted from all public documents related to the case;
- You will be free to answer ‘no’ to questions on applications asking if you have been convicted of a crime.
Let Our Angola Expungement Lawyer Help You
If you have a criminal conviction hanging over your head, the Bellinger Law Office is here to help. Call or contact our Angola expungement lawyer today and request a consultation to discuss your options.