DUI Lawyer Near Me
No one gets behind the wheel of a car thinking that they are going to get a DUI charge, known as OWI (operating while intoxicated) in Indiana. However, if you drive after you have had an alcohol beverage, this is exactly what may happen.
It is important to remember, though, that a DUI/OWI charge is much different from a DUI/OWI conviction. If you are facing charges in Indiana, our DUI lawyer can help you to understand the consequences of those charges, how to prepare yourself for the criminal process, and what your rights are. Contact us as soon as you have been charged for your initial case consultation.
DUI Charges – What Happens If You’re Convicted?
If you are convicted of a DUI, the consequences have the potential to be very serious. For example, you may face:
- A license suspension of at least six months;
- Incarceration of up to 60 days (depending upon the conviction);
- Mandatory alcohol and substance abuse education classes;
- A fine of up to $5,000; and
- A permanent mark on your record, which will affect any future convictions, as well as your future opportunities.
How to Defend Yourself Against DUI/OWI Charges
There are many ways to defend yourself against DUI/OWI charges. Our talented DUI lawyer will review the details of your case to determine which strategy makes the most sense for you. Some ways to defend yourself include:
- Having evidence dismissed. This is possible if your attorney can prove that evidence was illegally obtained or is invalid (such as an improperly administered roadside sobriety test, or a defective breath alcohol test).
- Proving that you didn’t know you were intoxicated. In some cases, you may be able to prove that you did not know that you were intoxicated when you got behind the wheel. For example, your drink may have been spiked.
- Proving lack of probable cause. If your attorney can prove that the police lacked the proper evidence to pull you over and arrest you for a DUI in the first place, charges against you may be dropped.
In addition to defending yourself, your attorney may also explore other strategies in your interests, such as negotiating a deal with the prosecution.
Contact Our Experienced DUI Attorney Today
When you are facing DUI charges in Indiana, the best thing that you can do is to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney who understands what you’re up against, and knows how to build your case and fight for you. At The Bellinger Law Office, our DUI lawyer is not only passionate about your future, but also has the courtroom experience that your case deserves. To schedule your initial case review with our law office today, call us directly at 260-428-2214. You can also send us a message online through our website.