Fort Wayne Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Whether you are taking in the city landscapes of Fort Wayne or tooling around Allen County, it seems like every view is better when you are riding your motorcycle. You might not think about the dangers while enjoying your favorite activity, but Indiana motorcycle crash statistics reveal the risks. There are almost 2,800 collisions involving motorcycles annually, and 71% of them are categorized as multi-vehicle accidents. Negligent motorists are usually behind these incidents, so it is encouraging to know that you have legal remedies under Indiana law if you have been injured.
The Bellinger Law Office will help you navigate the legal process after a motorcycle crash, as you may qualify to recover compensation from the at-fault driver. We are experienced in negotiating settlements with insurers, but we have trial advocacy skills to fight for your rights in court. Please contact our office to set up a consultation with a Fort Wayne motorcycle accident attorney and check out an overview of the relevant laws.
How Liability Works in Indiana Motorcycle Collisions
The legal basis for these claims is the same as for other vehicle crashes, so you will have to prove the essential elements of negligence. You could qualify for compensation by showing that the motorcycle accident was caused by the at-fault driver’s failure to exercise reasonable care behind the wheel. By “reasonable,” the law refers to how a careful motorist would drive. For example, a driver may be negligent by:
- Speeding in excess of the posted limit or driving too fast for conditions;
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- Failure to yield right of way;
- Making illegal turns and lane changes;
- Distracted driving, including cell phone use, eating, and using a GPS; and,
- Running red lights and stop signs.
When you meet the burden of proof in a motorcycle crash claim, you may be able to recover damages for medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and many other losses.
Legal Help Overcoming Challenges
Even when you have proof of the essential elements of negligence, there can be pitfalls. The Bellinger Law Office is prepared for these obstacles and will avoid them through appropriate strategies. You can rely on a Fort Wayne motorcycle accident lawyer to handle:
- Indiana’s statute of limitations allows you two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit;
- The rule of comparative negligence reduces your compensation when you were negligent in causing the motorcycle accident; and,
- A denial of your claim from the insurance company or a lowball offer to settle; and,
- All litigation tasks if the insurer refuses to settle for a fair amount.
Speak to a Fort Wayne Motorcycle Accident Attorney About Your Rights
When you consider the various challenges and legal requirements you must meet, you can see that retaining legal representation is critical. For more information on how we support your needs throughout the process, please contact the Bellinger Law Office to schedule a case review. An Indiana motorcycle crash lawyer can advise you on your options after learning more about your situation.