Thinking about representing yourself in your divorce case? Our law firm advises you to reconsider. There is a great deal at stake and emotions can run high. It’s important to have someone to rely on for sound advice and legal counsel. The Bellinger Law Office helps clients get through divorce. Contact Fort Wayne divorce attorney Robert Bellinger at 260-428-2214 to learn how we can help you.
Common Issues in Divorce
There is no such thing as a typical divorce. Whether easy or difficult, divorce cases are almost always more than a dissolution of marriage. Some of the issues that arise include:
- Child custody: This is often the most contentious part of divorce. Indiana provides for several custody options, including joint legal custody, sole legal custody, physical custody, joint physical custody and primary physical custody. If the parents cannot agree, the court will determine what arrangement is in the best interests of the children.
- Parenting time/visitation: Although there are guidelines for the court to use in determining parenting time, they can be modified, depending on the circumstances. We help you determine what will work for you.
- Child support: Child support in Indiana is determined by guidelines that are applied based on both parents’ incomes. It is important that all information about the parents’ finances is known so that the support award is fair.
- Property division: Our law firm employs forensic accountants and other investigators to ensure that property division is based on accurate information.
- Spousal maintenance / support (alimony): We represent clients in spousal support discussions when applicable. We can help determine if spousal support is an option in your divorce.
Indiana requires parties in a divorce or modification petitions to participate in mediation. We advise clients during this less expensive and less contentious process. We help them form tailored solutions that meet the specific needs of their family. Of course, we will aggressively represent clients in court if that is in their best interest.
Men’s/Father’s Rights — It’s About Fairness
Men are often at a disadvantage during divorce. Our law firm seeks to give men the same opportunities that women often receive automatically. Our firm will do the investigations and other work needed to ensure that our male clients are treated fairly.
Rarely do divorce resolutions satisfy the needs of the family forever. When circumstances change, the court requires a modification of the final divorce order. Modifications usually involve child support payments, parenting time schedules or relocation/removal petitions. We represent clients who are seeking modifications as well as those trying to prevent them.
Thinking About Divorce? Get Sound Legal Counsel.
If you are thinking about a divorce, or if you need to modify a divorce agreement, contact The Bellinger Law Office for a Fort Wayne lawyer who will seek a favorable outcome for you and your children. Call us at 260-428-2214.