Bicycle Accident Attorney in Fort Wayne
Bicycling is an excellent form of physical fitness and an environmentally friendly way to get around, whether you’re traveling through downtown Fort Wayne or a quiet residential neighborhood. Unfortunately, with more people making bicycling a part of their daily commute or exercise routine, the number of bicycle accidents in our area has increased. At the Bellinger Law Office, we help you hold responsible drivers accountable when crashes occur between vehicles and cyclists. Our experienced and compassionate personal injury attorneys understand Indiana’s traffic laws inside and out, and we are available to help you fight for the compensation you need to recover after a bike riding injury.
Fort Wayne Bicycle Accidents
According to crash statistics from the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute, 744 cyclists were involved in collisions reported to police in 2019, and of those, nearly 10% (71) occurred in Allen County. As bicyclists have little to protect them in collisions involving motor vehicles, the injuries they suffer as a result tend to be severe.
It’s no surprise that many bicycle accidents are caused by the reckless driving behaviors of distracted or careless motorists. Actions such as speeding, disregarding traffic signs and signals, and driving under the influence all put Fort Wayne bicyclists at risk. When a bike accident does occur, drivers can be held liable for the medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages that result. To protect your rights in a claim, Consumer Reports recommends the following tips:
- Report any type of bike accident, even a minor one, to local law enforcement officials The police will create an accident report that contains key information when filing a claim.
- Get medical attention immediately. Even if you do not think you have been injured, go see a doctor, as many serious conditions have symptoms that take days or weeks to appear.
- Make sure you or someone else gets the driver’s personal contact, driver’s license, and insurance information. Make a note of the vehicle description and license plate number of the car involved, just in case the driver attempts to leave the scene.
- Get the names and contact information of any witnesses who may have seen the accident happen.
- If possible, take pictures of where the accident occurred, the other vehicle involved, your bike, and your injuries. If you are unable to do so yourself, ask someone else to take these photos for you.
- Follow all of your doctor’s instructions regarding follow-up care and activity restrictions. This can help to ensure you recover as quickly as possible, and not doing so could jeopardize your rights in a claim.
Contact Our Fort Wayne Bicycle Accident Attorney
Bicycling provides a great way to commute around cities like Fort Wayne, as well as an opportunity to spend time enjoying the beautiful Indiana countryside. But this popular form of transportation and exercise also puts you at risk for accidents and injuries. At the Bellinger Law Office, we provide the professional legal representation you need to hold at-fault drivers accountable. To discuss how we can help you get the compensation you are entitled to in your claim, contact our Fort Wayne bicycle accident attorney today and request a consultation.