Dog Bite Injury Lawyer in Fort Wayne
Even the most mild-mannered dog can get aggressive in certain situations. When not properly restrained, they can cause serious harm. If you or someone you love is the victim of a dog bite or attack in Indiana, contact The Bellinger Law Office right away. Our Fort Wayne dog bite attorney can help you hold the dog owner accountable and get compensation in a claim.
We Help Victims of Dog Bite Injuries in Indiana
The Illinois Department of Health reports that roughly 7,000 dog bites in Indiana happen each year. They can happen when dogs are not kept on leashes or properly restrained on the owner’s property. Unfortunately, even a seemingly minor bite or attack can cause serious personal injuries. At The Bellinger Law Office, our Fort Wayne dog bite attorneys help victims and their families get the compensation they need to recover. Common types of injuries suffered by clients in cases we represent include:
- Dog bite wounds, resulting in loss of limbs and damage to body organs or soft tissues;
- Potentially life-threatening infections, due to bacteria transported through the dog’s saliva;
- Deep claw marks and scratches, resulting in permanent scarring and disfigurement;
- Broken bones and torn muscles, suffered while trying to fight off an attack.
Victims of dog bites in Indiana may also suffer symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). This can cause symptoms such as sleep disturbances, anxiety, and depression for months or years after.
Get the Compensation You Need to Recover From Dog Bites in Indiana
Most towns have leash laws in place to protect public safety. They require owners to keep their dogs under control in public, to restrain them on private property, and to post signs warning visitors that a dog is on the premises.
When dog owners fail to take these precautions and dog bites in Indiana happen, The Bellinger Law Office helps you hold them accountable. Under the Indiana Code (§ 15-20-1-3), dog owners can be held liable for damages you suffer due to a dog bite or attack either through insurance or by filing a lawsuit against them. Compensation available in an Indiana dog bite lawsuit includes:
- Coverage of current and future medical care and rehabilitation costs;
- Reimbursement for lost wages and future losses in earnings or benefits;
- Compensation for your pain, suffering, and any scarring or disfigurement;
- Punitive damages, which punish the dog owner for particularly reckless behavior and can represent up to three times the total of any other compensation.
Request a Consultation With Our Fort Wayne Dog Bite Attorney Today
Dog bite injuries can be devastating. At The Bellinger Law Office, we help you get the compensation you need to recover. To request a consultation with our experienced Fort Wayne dog bite attorney, give us a call or contact our office online today.