Indiana Personal Injury Attorneys Representing Clients in School Bus Accident Claims
School bus accidents in Indiana often result in serious and deadly injuries, and anyone from children on the bus to bicyclists or occupants of other motor vehicles can be harmed. School bus accidents often result from driver error, which can include the bus driver’s negligence or the careless behavior of another motorist on the road. Yet there are also other causes for school bus accidents in Indiana, and it is important to have an experienced Indiana school bus accident lawyer evaluate your case to help you determine the best way to move forward with a claim for compensation.
Getting the Facts About School Bus Accidents in Indiana
The National Safety Council (NSC) reports that 109 people sustained fatal injuries in school bus accidents in 2019, and nearly 70% of reported deaths each year are occupants of other motor vehicles involved in collisions with the bus. Pedestrians and bicyclists are also disproportionately affected by school bus accidents, accounting for about 20% of all deaths. Other key facts and figures from the NSC and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) include the following:
- Approximately 34% of nonfatal injury victims in school bus accidents are school bus passengers, about 54% are occupants of other motor vehicles, and about 8% are school bus drivers;
- Between 2007-2016, the highest rate of fatalities in school bus accidents were occupants of other motor vehicles and pedestrians, including child pedestrians;
- Highest rate of school bus accidents occur between the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. and between 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., coinciding with school travel start and end times;
- Majority of pedestrians who are killed in school bus accidents are struck head-on by school buses traveling in a straight direction, while relatively few pedestrian accidents occur when school buses are leaving or entering a parked position, turning right or left, or managing a curve in the road;
- Rates of school bus injuries and fatalities have remained relatively constant over the last decade; and
- In 2019, a total of 13,000 school transportation-related injuries occurred, and nearly 50% of those injured were occupants of other motor vehicles and just under 40% were school bus occupants.
Liability for an Indiana School Bus Accident
Many different parties could be liable for an Indiana school bus accident, including but not limited to the following:
- School bus driver;
- Driver of another motor vehicle;
- School district employing the bus driver;
- Designer or manufacturer of a defective bus or auto part; or
- Owner of the premises where the accident occurred.
Contact Our School Bus Accident Attorneys in Indiana
If you or your child sustained injuries in a school bus accident, you should seek advice from one of our Indiana school bus accident attorneys as soon as possible. You may be able to file a claim in order to seek compensation for injuries while holding the responsible party accountable for the injuries they have caused. Contact The Bellinger Law Office today for more information.